It has happened to the many of us, your standing in the bathtub taking a shower washing your hair when you look down and your standing in 5 inches of standing water. A clogged bathtub drain are not only inconvenient, they are also just gross. Soap scum, hair and other debris build up over time in the bathtub drain causing a clogged pipe. It can also cause leaks and other serious problems down the road.
Here are some simple tips to keep your bathtub drain clean:
- Remove the stopper from your bathtub.
- Drop Stopper: you just have to twist off the cap and remove the screw.
- Levered bathtub stopper: you will remove the overflow plate as well as the stopper.
- Push Stoppers: Hold onto the base while unscrewing the stopper.
- Remove debris from the drain opening. Once you have easy access to the drain opening you can remove debris that could be causing a blockage, and prevent it from being pushed further down your drain pipes. We recommend wearing some gloves to avoid getting soap scum on your hands and fingers.
- If the problem is further down the drain you can use a small drain auger to get the debris out. But, be very careful that you do not push the blockage further into the pipes, this could cause the blockage to grow and cause other problems. If you are unsure contact our professional drain cleaners to help you with clearing away all blockages in the line.
- Once you have removed the blockage you can use this method for clearing away additional soap scum from the line:
- Heat a large pot of water. Pour the water down the drain to help melt and wash away soap scum.
- Pour ½ cup of baking soda down the drain
- Follow with ½ cup white distilled vinegar. Cover the drain to prevent the mixture form fizzing back up out of the drain.
- Allow to sit for 15-30 minutes
- Pour another large pot of hot water down the drain.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Avoid using liquid drain cleaners like Drano in your shower drain. These chemicals can cause chemical burns to your skin, and damage the drain pipes! These chemicals should be avoided completely.